Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dancehall Inspired Hip-Hop

Now I must shout out my homie Wu from Black Trident. He hit me up yesterday and asked my opinion on Beyonce's new song "Girls Who Rule the World". I must admit, that I heard it BRIEFLY and changed the station...So I promised him I would give it a fair listen.  Beyonce sampled  Major Lazer's "Pon di Floor".  But don't be surprised.  Beyonce isn't the first to sample them.  Diddy sampled them on his Dirty Money track "Ass on the Floor". Personally I think Bey's song is garbage, but kudos to Major Lazer.  Lol.  Wu was a bit pissed and thinks "Beyonce is a teef" lol.  I just hope Major Lazer is getting their royalties from these mainstream artistes. 




Beyonce



Diddy Dirty Money





Jennifer Lopez's recent song "I'm Into You" featuring Lil Wayne also sounds a bit Dancehall/Jamaican Inspired. 











I know it can be annoying, but these artistes are highlighting our culture, and bringing it to the forefront to their international audiences.  I just hope the appropriate parties get their credit and their money.  


Smooches from Hotlipps

3 comments:

  1. Diplo who produced Beyonces song is a part of Major Lazer so it would be really strange if he didnt get his part of the share. Some research would have saved you the embarresment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fully aware of that....but to a mainstream audience and the average Beyonce or P. Diddy fan who may not be aware, they probably don't know the origin of the beat. Thanks for clarifying though. Smooches

    ReplyDelete
  3. well mi i wasnt really maddd , but did it really didnt make sense 4 her 2 do that beat when swizz beatz justtt did ,it sounds kinda copy cat 2 mi

    ReplyDelete